Monday, April 29, 2013

Photoshop - More tricks with the Color Lookup adjustment layer

Last week I showed you how to create a warm golden glow to a photograph.
Last weeks post.
This week we're going to take it one step further.
I wanted to create a unique feeling to this barn photograph. I wanted a warm golden glow that you would get from the evening sun but I didn't want that effect applied to the sky.
When you add a Color Lookup adjustment layer Photoshop gives you a mask. (What is a mask?)
This mask allows you to paint out the part of the photo that you want to remove that effect from.
In my example below I first applied an adjustment layer to add the Color Lookup adjustment layer with the "Crisp Warm" effect. I didn't want to loose the blues in the sky so I painted that effect out of the sky area.
Then, I took it one step further. I added another adjustment layer with the "Color Lookup" but this time used the "Crisp Winter" effect. This added some wonderful blues to the photograph. Again, I didn't want to have this effect on the foreground and only the sky so I painted out the barn and ground leaving the blues to take over the sky area.
My results are below. A warm golden field of wheat with a cool crisp blue sky.

No comments: