There is a solution however! It involves turning the text layer into a Smart Object. (click here to learn about smart objects)
- Right click on your text layer and select "Convert to Smart Object"
- Apply the filter effect you want for your text
- Your text has been saved as a separate file within Photoshop. Double click your text layer to open and edit it.
- Save the text by closing and saving this Smart Object file within your Photoshop document
- Your filter still appears on your new edited text
Want to watch how I did this