Friday, January 23, 2009

How NOT to by a new PC

How NOT to by a new PC

I was planning on getting in on the after Christmas sales for my next computer. However, when my son needed his car repaired those dreams went down the drain. Funny how plans change when you've had kids.

So, how about tuning up your old computer? I regularly use "Disk Cleanup" which comes with the Windows operating system and is found in the Accessories folder. It removes clutter and can help speed things up.
Spyware could also be slowing your computer down. Make sure you have anti-spyware software on your computer. Update and run it on a regular basis. Here is a link to a couple of FREE anti-spyware sites:
SpyBot
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/single/trialpay.php

Want a few more ideas to tune-up your computer? Here's an article from PC Magazine that might help you get a little more life out of your older computer.
Now you know how I'll be spending my weekend. :-)

No comments: