Sunday, December 20, 2009

Photoshop - Retouching eyes

Editing eyes are the hardest and most important part of editing a photograph. You don't want to over do and make the eyes look fake. You do want to take out some redness and make the eyes the focal part of a photograph.
The photo below shows you what I did in a few simple steps to make the eyes stand out without making them look touched up.

Here are the steps I did to enhance the eye in the photograph.
Remember to always copy your original photo to a new layer by dragging and dropping the background layer onto the new layer icon. You always want to have the original document to go back to if needed.
  • First I cloned out a few of the larger red spots in the white area of the eye but not all of them.
  • I selected the white part of the eye with the magic wand tool and under Hue/Saturation I removed some of the red. I don't want to remove all of it or it starts to look fake.
  • Under Brightness and Contrast I added just a little more brightness.
  • Here's a great eyelash tip! I took the burn tool, set the option to Shadows, selected a very small (size of an eyelash) soft edged brush and lightly went over all the eyelashes.
  • I also used the same settings and dodge tool to go around the outside iris to give it a little more definition.
  • The last thing I did was to select a blue foreground color similar to the natural eye color.
  • I selected a small soft edged brush and changed the option for the brush to Normal with Opacity set to about 9%. This gave the eye just a little more color.
These subtle edits can make all the difference in the world to a portrait. People will wonder what you did to make it look so good without having to give away your secrets.
Give it a try! :-)

No comments: