Monday, April 06, 2009

FREE Password Manager Software

What was my password??
I either have so many passwords to remember I can’t remember the name of the dog. Or, I keep reusing the same password over and over again which I know is too risky. What’s worse are the passwords that expire and have to be changed on a regular basis.I’ve tried post-it-notes on my monitor but a strong wind came along and my life almost came to an end.Managing multiple passwords is a pain. The more we use computers, the more passwords we have to remember. And, I have a feeling it’s not going to get any better.

There are several free programs that allow you to use one master password to access a list of all your usernames and passwords.

I was using AnyPassword and loved it. However, it doesn't work with Vista. So, I had to start looking again for something that was simple and best of all FREE.

I always try the software on my computer first to save you the trouble of getting something that doesn't work the way it should. So, here is what I found that works with Vista AND XP. As a matter of fact, it works with Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/2003/Vista operating systems.

I found "Effcient Password Manager".

With this software I’m able to use one password to get in to store all my information in one file. I create a “key” for each password I need to keep track of. Each key allows me to store the username, password, URL (if applicible) and notes if I want. They are also easy to edit if a password or URL changes.

I keep a shortcut (as pictured) on my desktop and just enter one password to get in.

I make copies of my key file in several places including my portable flash drive. I can always download the free"Efficient Password Manager" software on any machine and know that I have my passwords file handy if needed. I just need to keep track of the one password to access my information.














I hope you find using password management software as helpful as I do. To download a copy of this software, here is their site:

No comments: